If you’re suffering from back pain, there are several at-home back stretches you can do. Dr. Janice Cheatwood of Cheatwood Chiropractic in Brandon, FL shares some effective ones in this guide.
Guide to Back Stretches for Back Pain Relief and Spinal Health
Daily life can do quite a number on the back, leaving you suffering from pain and tension. The following back stretches can effectively help eliminate and prevent pain.
Knee to Chest Stretch
- Lie down with your back and feet flat on the floor.
- Slowly pull one knee to the chest while you either keep the other foot flat on the floor or straighten it onto the floor, depending on your comfort level.
- Hold the first knee to your chest for at least 15 seconds, then repeat on the opposite side.
- After lowering your feet to the floor, pull both knees to your chest and hold for 15 seconds.
- Repeat the process two to four times.
- While lying on your back, stretch your legs out flat on the floor.
- Pull your right knee up, then across the body, holding the knee with your left hand.
- Hold for at least 15 seconds before repeating on the other side.
- While you’re still on your back, bend your knees, placing your feet flat on the floor about shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly lift your pelvis as high as you can while squeezing your buttocks.
- Hold for a few seconds, slowly lower your pelvis to the floor, and repeat the process eight to 10 times.
Cat-Cow (Also known as Cat-Camel)
- Raise up to all fours, keeping your head as relaxed as possible.
- Let your head fall forward as you round your back up to the ceiling, holding this position for at least 15 seconds.
- Slowly roll your head up, move your stomach toward the floor, and lift your buttocks up.
- Hold this position for about 15 seconds before repeating the process at least two more times.
These back stretches can provide a great deal of back pain relief and help maintain spinal wellness. Dr. Cheatwood at Cheatwood Chiropractic in Brandon, FL can walk you through additional back stretches in addition to providing a customized treatment plan for optimal spinal wellness and pain relief.
Don’t suffer from back pain alone. At-home back stretches combined with visits to Dr. Cheatwood can help you leave back pain in your past. Schedule an appointment at Cheatwood Chiropractic in Brandon, FL by calling (813) 681-4418 today.